Thursday 11 July 2013

A Letter to my Psychiatrist

After the last time I saw my shrink I started to write him a letter.  I last saw him on May 10th, 2013 when I was picking up samples for my husband.  This is the letter that I sent him:

~

I deserve a chance to speak. Since timing is not working well for us I have decided to write it.

In my last appointment with you, my second appointment overall, I felt I was being pressured into changing my medication though I did not want to change anything. I feel better now than I have in a while. I'm more focused, more balanced and I feel more able.

During that appointment you suggested that I begin taking Lithium. A very powerful medication not to be taken lightly. I understand that I am not a doctor however I am experienced with mental illness. I've suffered from it since I was 13 years old, been on many different drugs and tried different therapies. I have been actively trying to lose weight as it effects my emotional state. I think that prescribing lithium to a woman who is clearly overweight on the second time seeing her is just not sound advice.

When I met with you at your hospital clinic location I wanted to explain to you that I did not feel comfortable changing my medication again. I had recently become adjusted to the new medication (Gabapentin) that you prescribed our first meeting. I feel like this is enough for now. I am no longer suicidal, I am sleeping better than I have in years. My husband has noticed a change as well. He says that I have been less grumpy, more positive, more interactive and we both notice the fibro is more manageable. I may be willing to try changing my medication at a later date but this is working for me right now and I want to enjoy life.

It is important to me that you understand something. I have a mental illness and I came to you for help. My emotions are fragile and I am vulnerable. The way you spoke to me made me very upset. After only two appointments you suggested that I return to my family doctor. Your tone was mocking only because I told you that my friends and family agree with me. They like me the way I am, manic highs and all.

There is a crisis in this region. People with mental illness can't seem to get the support they need. One of my closest friends was yelled at by a doctor at the hospital's clinic. She self mutilates and was in the program there. After admitting to cutting the psychiatrist asked in a superior tone, as if addressing a child, “do you think that was an appropriate way to deal with your emotions?” Within the same appointment she ridiculed her patient again with “I'm expected to come to work every day and not cut myself.”

Another person I know had attempted suicide. She overdosed on pills and then cut her own wrists. Prior to this she had seen various people at the hospital. She was found before she died, brought to ICU and when the physical body has healed enough she was admitted to the psych ward. On day passes she would cut herself. She brought items back with her to do it again. She was released too soon, we all knew it. Even she knew it. And she tried again.

Where is the help for us? Why do professionals who are supposed to help us do so little? Or do so much to set us back?

I have had very little success finding someone to treat my mental illness while still treating me with the dignity and respect I am due as a person. I hoped that it would be you. I thought I saw it in you when we first met. I believed you were above the rest.


If you feel you are unable to do these things than I will wish you well and thank you for the gabapentin. Please let me know your decision either way.

~

I dropped it off at his office last night.  I wasn't aware that he was even in however I still left it with reception for him to read at his leisure.

This afternoon I received a call from his receptionist saying that the Doctor would really like to speak with me.  Not that he would like to book my next appointment; he wants to speak with me.

I guess I got his attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment