Friday 27 December 2013

Warning: The following post may contain foul language.

A couple days after Christmas, which was almost cancelled on her, and she's not any different then before.  Maybe she is just getting worse.  I took her out to breakfast this morning, she had chocolate chip pancakes and chocolate milk.  After that we went to the local bead store where I gave her $3 to spend on beads for herself.  She found some great items and got some great ideas.  Then when we get home it's all bitch, whine and complain.  We had to walk across the street to get to the mail box and check it; in the winter it goes to a community mail box and I only check it once every few days.  She asked me to carry her bag because she didn't have mittens.  Okay, no problem.  Then as we are walking across the street she nearly walks in front of a car and I pull her out of the way.  She screams at me.  Now she has slush in her boot and it's my fault.  "It's cold outside, waaaaahhhhh!" No fucking way?  Really?  I thought it was hot out here!  I mean, why else would I have a thick coat and mittens on?

I'm not sure how much longer I can handle her.  It's like she is getting more rude every day.  WebMD has a list of symptoms of Oppositional Defiance Disorder and there are only two things on this list that do not apply to DD.

Symptoms of ODD may include:
  • Throwing repeated temper tantrums
  • Excessively arguing with adults
  • Actively refusing to comply with requests and rules
  • Deliberately trying to annoy or upset others, or being easily annoyed by others
  • Blaming others for your mistakes
  • Having frequent outbursts of anger and resentment
  • Being spiteful and seeking revenge We haven't noticed this behavior as of yet.
  • Swearing or using obscene language  She doesn't swear.  She is very offended by foul language.
  • Saying mean and hateful things when upset
And these are things that are every day nearly all day with her.  Not like it's once in a while or even one thing a day.  She does everything on this list every day!  I just don't know what to do anymore.  We have enough issues in our life without this on top of it all.

View the WebMD article on ODD.

2 comments:

  1. ODD in conjunction with Autism is common.

    However if she is ADHD and I think you have mentioned she is, that with the Autism is your likely culprit of combination.

    http://www.additudemag.com/slideshow/26/slide-1.html?utm_source=eletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=December
    Addresses the refusing to do things

    Because she processes things differently on a number of levels she likely isn't deliberately trying to annoy or upset others because she just doesn't even know or get that she is doing it.

    Blaming others or not acknowledging responsibility is an ADHD thing as well.
    Frequent outbursts of anger is very ADHD.

    And then you have to factor in that her hormones are starting to develop and that adds a whole new can of worms to the mix.

    (hugs) Time to do some digging and visits to the library to find books for coping strategies for you and her.

    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she has ADHD. However I can say with certainty that she deliberately does those things. Sometimes she will admit it but most of the time it is the look in her eyes. She's smart and she knows how to push buttons.

      This was a new idea:
      “I’m asking you a second time. Do you know what I’m asking you to do—and the consequences if you don’t? Please make a smart decision.”

      We do all the other things. After years of nothing working I have reached the end of my rope. I am grasping at the fraying ends desperately trying to hold on.

      Delete