Sunday 29 December 2013

About a year ago

I wrote this on another blog and wanted to share it on this one.

~~~~~~~

Tuesday, 19 June 2012


On the radio today I was listening to a talk show about immigrants.  He was an immigrant in the USA when he lived there and now his wife and children are technically immigrants now since they live in Canada.  Apparently there is a new report saying how much the government spends on immigrant and how little they put back into the economy since typically they end up being in positions that pay little different than minimum wage or are unemployed.

Here is a link to an article about it:

Well I was on hold for a while to talk to the host about it.  I don't know a lot about immigration and the statistics mentioned, but I do know that a high percentage of immigrants come and take very low paying jobs.  I know that because I have been in those jobs most of my life and worked with high percentage of immigrants.  Please don't get the wrong idea about this, I am pro immigration.  I don't feel like immigrants are stealing the jobs of hard working Canadians.  In fact, I know this to be untrue.  Just ask half the people working in sweat shop style call centers selling newspapers.  I met a wonderful lady who spoke fluent English, she was a surgeon in South America and she came to Canada for a better life. She was working in a Directory Assistance call center.  Dial 411 and speak to a doctor to find out the local taxi number.  In Canada she had to go back to school to become a doctor here.  She would have to start out as if she just graduated high school.  She couldn't afford to go through all of that schooling again. 

At a time where we need so many medical professionals we are turning them away?  I think there are many things that are wrong with the Canadian Immigration Agency, but putting more money into helping these people get crappy jobs is not going to help at all.
 
~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment