Friday 1 November 2013

My little Aspie

My DD has asperger's syndrome along with combination type ADHD. She is also Gifted. She comes home from school every day with the same attitude, "I hate school". I had to fight so hard for her teacher to give her some of the supports she needs and to even recognise that she is Gifted. Her teacher is the same as last year. Last year I told him that she's smarter than everyone thinks. That he needed to challenge her. I've come to understand that when she tells me something is 'too hard' for her it really means it isn't mentally stimulating enough for her. Otherwise known as 'boring'.
It was part way through last year that she was officially noticed as Gifted by the special education team. And even after that her (then grade 3) teacher would not agree, would not give her advanced or challenging assignments. It's so frustrating!

1 comment:

  1. I understand completely. Except now I get to do it all over again with a new set of teachers who have already labeled him "bad." If I go with his current report card compared to his last year same time. He has regressed by over half. Which I don't believe one bit. Getting the ADHD diagnosed without a doctor has been overly aggravating. On the upside by mid December we will have a family doctor, so hopefully the new year will go smoother or I am going to be home schooling.

    ReplyDelete