Tuesday 24 February 2015

Gluten Free - more or less

I went about 4 or so months 100% gluten free.  Since I'm not celliac I don't have to worry about cross contamination that much (I did find out that if I cook eggs in the same frying pan as I just cooked a loaf of wheat bread french toast I get stomach cramps) so I don't worry about buying the oats that are certified gluten free.

Anyway, after a good time off of it I was bad and I ate a large portion of lasagna.  It was an alfredo chicken one and cold at the time.  It was also totally awesome.  I was over emotional that day and no one was around to stop me.  I regretted it for the rest of the weekend.  My stomach felt awful and I got a bit of heartburn as well.  Every once in a while since then I take a bite of something with gluten in it.  Bread, muffin, bagel; a bite doesn't cause any serious issue for me.  Sometimes heartburn or a bit of bloating.  But one thing I have noticed was that the flavour just isn't the same any more.  I actually don't like it.  I don't know what it is but it just tastes wrong.

I have a few recipes that I'm going to share eventually because I love them and they are super easy to make.  But one thing that I am not too fond of so far is the Robin Hood flour blend.  I find it gives the end products a grainy texture I don't get with a simple white rice/corn starch blend.  But before I get around to posting the recipes I will leave you with some gluten free things that I have found tasty over the last months.

Dempsters Gluten Zero Whole Grain bread.  OH MY GAWD!  That stuff makes the best gluten free toast I have had, and I have tried a lot.  Toast is one thing I do not like to live without and now I don't have to!

Wild Roots Tortilla chips with kale and flax.  If anyone knows where I can buy these I would be very grateful.  They used to sell them at my local Costco but they no longer carry them.  I considered cancelling my membership over it those things are so freaking good!  Even my super picky daughter loved them.  She'd do chores just to be allowed to eat a few!

Cheetos Crunchies.  Did you know they are gluten free?  Mmmmmmm....so bad for me but still so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment